One of the keys to success in today’s ultra-competitive real estate market is to position your home as the most desirable property at a given price in a given area. Here are some easy and inexpensive staging tips to consider:
- Use neutral colors and décor to help your home appeal to the largest number of potential buyers. Add color through accessories such as pillows, vases and oriental rugs.
- Arrange furniture in small groupings that demonstrate a room’s functionality, and do not overcrowd a room with furniture. Place pieces in a way that dictates logical traffic flow. Rent a storage unit for any large furniture or other items that make a room seem crowded.
- Clean windows inside and out. Repair any cracks, leaks, holes, broken windowpanes.
- Use light, airy window treatments, like simple sheers on a curtain rod. Hang window treatments so they cover the least amount of glass.
- Higher wattage light bulbs can brighten up dark areas, while dimmers are a lowcost way to add a desirable feature and allow you to increase or decrease light levels in different rooms.
- Camouflage outdated furniture or worn upholstery with slip covers, and replace worn bedspreads and throw rugs.
- Keep kitchen counters clean and clear of all items, and remove all magnets and notes from the front of the refrigerator. If your kitchen needs an update, paint cupboards with a neutral color and replace knobs on cabinets.
- Remove all personal items from the bathroom counter. Stock fresh towels and get a new shower curtain and rug for the floor. If needed, Re-caulk all tubs, sinks and showers inside and out.
- Personal photographs and mementos add warmth and character to a home, but use them in moderation so the buyer will focus on the home, not its owners.
- Use interesting accessories to draw the eye to desirable features like built-in shelving, book cases or fireplace mantels.
- Display fresh flowers.
- If you have collectibles, display them in neat, uncluttered groupings.
- Remember outdoor spaces like your back yard, patio or balcony. Add furniture, plants or potted flowers with seasonal settings.
During the showings:
- Open drapes and turn on all lights.
- Make sure the interior temperature is comfortable.
- Do not run dishwasher or laundry machines during showings.
- Remove all pets unless they are very quiet and well-behaved.